The heat has arrived in Austin, Texas, but there’s way too much fun to be had in this beautiful city to stay indoors. School is out, the sun is here, and the MOD BIKES team has you covered! We’ve put together a list bike-friendly, kid-approved MUST DOs in South Austin this summer.
If you want to get there in style, without driving around endlessly in search of shaded parking, we’d love to lend you an electric bike from our high-quality, easy-to-use collection. Our e-bikes were built with family outings in mind, and it’s a breeze to add child seats to any of our models. Whether you’re new parents or have a rambunctious middle-schooler (or both), we can equip your electric bike with child seats before you leave – turning your otherwise mundane drive into an exciting adventure.
Here are 5 fun, family adventures in South Austin:
Austin Nature and Science Center
Located at 2389 Stratford Drive on the west side of Zilker Park, the Austin Nature and Science Center is an 80-acre nature center filled with exhibits and activities to keep kids busy for hours! Aimed to educate and get children outside and enjoying nature, the center offers beautiful trails around the pond system, a Dino Pit Fossil Dig, Wildlife Exhibits, and so much more. And, the ANSC is FREE!
The Austin Nature and Science Center also offers various education camps and programs. Learn more about the center and exhibits here
- Monday – Saturday from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Sunday from Noon – 5:00 pm
- Check the ANSC website for holiday hours and closures.
Liz Carpenter Splash Pad
Beat the heat for free at the Liz Carpenter Splash Pad in Butler Park! This interactive fountain is a great place for kids to cool off during the day. Join in, or find a shaded table for a relaxing read or picnic. We have PLENTY of recs if you’re looking for food in the area, just ask! While you’re in the area, Butler Park is also one of our go-to places to enjoy views of the city and spot wildlife – look for the turtles! Get directions here.
- Monday: 12 pm – 9:45 pm
- Tuesday – Sunday: 8 am – 9:45 pm
Woodland Faerie Trail at Zilker Botanical Garden
When people think of places to explore in South Austin, Zilker Park is near the top of the list. While the park is a great place to spend the day anytime of the year, the Woodland Faerie Trail at Zilker Botanical Garden is an added bonus during the summer. On display through August 10, the trail is a magical time that has to go on your to-do list. The exhibit features mystical faerie homes and gardens crafted with nature materials by Austin-based architects, artisans and other creatives. While you’re there, don’t leave without exploring the Japanese garden and trying to count the fish at the koi ponds!
Admission is included when visiting Zilker Botanical Garden’s: $3 for non-Austin residents, $2 for Austinites, $1 for children and seniors.
- Daily from 9 am – 6 pm.
Statesman Bat Observation
While seeing the bats may already be on every single “Things to do in Austin” list, we’re adding it to ours with convenience in mind. The first time we went to see the 1.5+ million Mexican free-tailed bats take to the sky, we had no clue where to park our cars, the best place to watch, how to get down to the trail… you know, all the important stuff. Riding an e-bike to this nightly activity makes it so much more enjoyable. Whether you want to stop on the sidewalk of the Congress Street Bridge or get up close on the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail, our electric bikes take the stress out of the experience.
- Nightly, time varies but typically starts around sunset.
Self-Guided Dessert Tour
Please your sweet tooth while cooling down! South Austin has some of the best cold desserts in town, and we couldn’t choose just one. Chow down at any (or all) of these easy-to-access, delicious spots!
- South Austin Sno (1817 S. Lamar) – Bring some cash and get your ice on! Conveniently located on South Lamar next to Austin’s Pizza, South Austin Sno has tons of flavors including sugar-free and sour options! HOURS: Daily 12pm-7pm
- Manoli’s (603 W Live Oak) – Can’t decide on what kind of dessert you want? Look no further! Manoli’s makes all their delicious desserts in-house daily. This is THE SPOT for Ice Cream, Paletas, Italian Ice, Sorbet, Shakes, Juices, Affogato and more. HOURS: Monday – Thursday 4pm – 10pm, Friday – Sunday 1pm – 11pm
- Lick Honest (1100 South Lamar) – offbeat flavors made with local, natural, and sustainable ingredients. If you’re feeling adventurous, Lick Honest is the place to try something new. With unique flavors like Goat Cheese, Thyme & Honey or Roasted Beets & Fresh Mint, you’re in for an experience! HOURS: Sunday – Thursday 12:30pm – 10pm, Friday – Saturday 12:30pm – 11:30pm
- NadaMoo (1701 South Lamar) – For dairy-free goodness, NadaMoo has you covered. We never knew dairy-free ice cream could be so creamy and so tasty until we made our way to NadaMoo. Hours: Daily 12pm – 11pm
- Juice Austin (1221 South Congress) – Get your health on at Juice Austin! Their offerings include delicious smoothies and juices that will put a little pep in your step and your pedaling! HOURS: Monday – Thursday 8am – 5pm; Friday 8am – 6pm; Saturday – Sunday 8am – 7pm
What are some of your favorite kid-friendly activities in Austin? Let us know!
ABOUT MOD BIKES
Austin’s Most Recommended Electric Bike Shop
MOD BIKES is an electric bike company that designs and engineers e-bikes in Austin, Texas. Headquartered in the South First neighborhood, and less than 10 minutes from Downtown Austin, our showroom offers sales of electric bikes, professional e-bike repair and a service center. MOD BIKES also offers hourly, daily, and weekly electric bike rentals and self-guided city tours.
MOD Bikes are easy-to-use, low-maintenance, electric bicycles that get you from here to there in style. Our collection sleek, sustainable bikes designed for riders of every kind. Whether you’re a commuter looking to cut travel time and cost and beat traffic, or an adventurer looking for a bike tough enough for your rugged excursions, MOD BIKES has you covered. Head here to learn more about our electric bike models or stop by our store for a free test ride today.
MOD BIKES is located at 1632 S 1st St., Austin, TX 78704. We are open from 10am to 5pm Tuesday through Sunday; we are CLOSED on Monday.
Follow us on social media for exclusive sales, event announcements, and more.
MOD BIKES Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/modbikes.official
MOD BIKES Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/modbikes.official
Watch our most recent videos here!